Plan for Your Appointment
Before The Appointment
- Write down your most important query.
- A routine appointment is 10 minutes long. If you feel you have lots of issues to discuss - make a double appointment (20 minutes) when you book.
- Write down your symptoms - when they started, what makes them better or worse.
- Ask a friend/family member to accompany you if this would help you.
- Medication queries/problems: List or bring your medicines. Tell the Doctor what prescribed medications you are actually taking and any medications or herbal preparations that you are buying yourself and taking without a prescription.
- If you think you may need to be examined (or are having a vaccination) please do not wear lots of layers. Time taken to get undressed wastes valuable consultation time.
- If you cannot keep your appointment time, PLEASE telephone to cancel and re-arrange.
During The Appointment
- Don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t understand. For example: “Can you say that again? I don’t quite understand”
- If you don’t understand any words, ask for them to be written down and explained.
- Write things down or ask a family member or friend to take notes.
- Make sure you understand what you need to do after leaving the surgery room.
After Your Appointment
- Book any tests/further appointments and put the dates in your diary.
- Telephone for test results 3-7 days later, after 14:00.